We’re excited to announce the release of Reikan FoCal 2.4 Maintenance Release 1 (MR1) for Windows and Mac. This release brings much improved macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12) support for Canon cameras and includes enhancements to the new Target Setup first introduced in FoCal 2.4. It also includes a whole host of reliability improvements and bug fixes across all supported platforms and cameras.
FoCal 2.4 MR1 Key Changes
- Much improved macOS Sierra support for Canon and Nikon – Both Canon and Nikon supported on macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12)
- Target Setup Enhancements – More guidance for users, especially when using non-centre focus points
- Big focus on reliability and bug fixes – lots of little bugs on both Windows and Mac platforms have been squashed in this release!
Enhancements and Fixes:
- MOD: Focus points shown in Target Setup with non-centre focus point enabled
- MOD: Zoom position in Target Setup shown when started from Aperture Sharpness
- MOD: Removed and re-worded some warning/error messages to be clearer
- MOD: Improved readability of some text on Windows
- MOD: Better indication of Dual Pixel Raw information on some charts
- MOD: Improvements to reliability of target search algorithm
- MOD: Improved sizing of Aperture Sharpness and AF Consistency windows on Mac
- MOD: Improved compatibility of raw analysis results with JPEG results with comparison database
- MOD: Image Capture Mode (JPEG/Raw/Dual Pixel Raw) now indicated in Shot Info panel
- MOD: Improve macOS Sierra support with Nikon Df
- FIX: Incorrect distance logic if target could not be found in Target Setup
- FIX: Change behaviour if Target Setup started when not in correct exposure Mode
- FIX: Fixed handling of 1/2 stop Exposure Value setting on Canon cameras
- FIX: Improvement to reliability of Target Setup tool
- FIX: Fixed issues with ignored analysis points in various tests/charts
- FIX: Corrected some minor rendering issues with charts
- FIX: Fixed unresponsive charts after report saving
- FIX: AF Consistency target distance shown in metres even if feet/in enabled
- FIX: Fixed occasional warning/error messages if focal length changed during test
- FIX: Slight focus point position error for Nikon D500
- FIX: Fixed occasional termination when running Aperture Sharpness test
- FIX: Fixed occasional issue with Phase Detect autofocus in Live View
- FIX: Occasional unreliability with communications on Mac during Live View
- FIX: Tests can now run with no card on Canon when release without card disabled
- FIX: Prevent double-focus operation in Focus Consistancy with some Nikon cameras
- FIX: Metadata processing reliability issues on some systems
- FIX: Fixes to some yes/no dialogs to ensure the operation is correct
- FIX: Prevent rare crash in Automatic Calibration on non-retina Mac displays
- FIX: Fix for no crops shown during Dust Analysis test on Mac
Why Release 2.4 MR1 and not Release 2.5?
Improvements to macOS Sierra support for Canon was the main objective in this release along with improvements for the new Target Setup introduced in FoCal 2.4. The new Target Setup has received a lot of very positive feedback, with certain cameras there were problems if the camera was not set up correctly, we wanted to fix those issues in this new 2.4 release.
We’ve also dedicated a lot of time to fixing lots of small but annoying bugs, so this should be the best FoCal yet!
FoCal 2.4 Maintenance Release 1 means if you had access to use FoCal 2.4 released on the 7th December 2016 you will also have access to use FoCal 2.4 MR1.
macOS Sierra Support Status
We’re happy to report both Canon and Nikon cameras are supported within FoCal when using macOS Sierra with this 2.4 MR1 release!
All supported Canon cameras will now work with Sierra. During our Sierra testing we’ve found some interesting behaviour with both Canon’s own EOS Utility and FoCal with the very newest Canon cameras.
It’s an area we will continue to revisit, as mentioned on the FoCal 2.4 blog post ultimately we need Canon to update their interface libraries. Most Canon cameras will now work without issue with this 2.4 MR1 release on Sierra, the workaround given above for certain Canon cameras will not be required in a future FoCal release.
Software Support Status
The following table shows the support for FoCal for Mac:
|Operating System||Camera Manufacturer||Status|
|OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional (please see here for instructions for using Canon 80D, 5D Mark IV and 1D X Mark II)|
The following table shows the support for FoCal for Windows:
|Operating System||Camera Manufacturer||Status|
|Windows 7||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|Windows 8/8.1||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|Windows 10||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
How do I get FoCal 2.4 MR1?
Download FoCal 2.4 MR1 by logging in to the LMS at lms.fo-cal.co.uk. Once logged in, you will see a download link to the software.
FoCal 2.4 is available for Windows (Windows 7 and newer) and Mac (OS X 10.9 – 10.12) operating systems, for users who are still within their Included Updates Period on the 7th December 2016 (2.4 release date). If your Included Updates Period had expired on the 7th December 2016, you can purchase another 12 months by logging in to the LMS at lms.fo-cal.co.uk.
If you don’t own FoCal, you can purchase the software as a download or boxed product, as well as Focal Hard Targets from the FoCal store.
The installation package contains the software, target images and a reference manual (also available on the Documents Download page).